Hoxton Hall was originally built in 1863 by James Mortimer in the traditional music hall architecture style. When the hall was first built it was named Mortimer Hall. The hall was later bought by James McDonald and renamed McDonald’s Music Hall.
McDonald’s Music Hall was quite a success and many of Music Hall’s major names played there in its early years. Such was its popularity that in 1867 McDonald enlarged its capacity by raising the height of the Hall, adding a new upper balcony, and extending the previous rear balcony along both sides.